Thursday, August 14, 2014

Down time in the Oil Patch



My wife and I lived in Odessa Texas.  I was working as a geologist and drilling engineer.  Often time when you work on an oil drilling rig, there are rather long periods of down time for the geologist.  One night the driller decided to change bits.  This would involve a trip which would require removing all the drill pipes and replacing the bit.  At 6000 feet this takes some time.  To pass the time the engineer, and I went to Big Springs to have a beer or two.  We went into what could only be a red neck bar.  We took stools at the bar and ordered.  I ordered a German made beer.  Sitting next to us was two rather round flat face red neck Texans.  When they heard the name of the German beer, they looked over at us and
One asked. “Can you tell me truly that your German beer taste better than Lone Star.”
 I answered, “Well to some the taste it is better. This beer is made with more hops, and I like the taste of hops.”
 One of the red neck said, “You really cannot tell the difference between two beers, they all taste the same. “
I said “Buy five different beers, and I will tell you where the beer was brewed and the name of the brewery. If I cannot do it, I will give both of you $100.00.”
 “What do we have to do if you do?”
  I said, “Just go out and tell all of your friends and come back next week.”
 They said, “We can’t lose.”
  The bartender bought out the five different beers and set them down in front of me.  I sampled each one and told them where the beer was brewed and the name of the brewery. They were totally impressed.   We now had five free bottles of beer to drink, and the red necks left.  The bartender was also impressed.  
The bartender asked, “How did you do that?,"
I said, “I read the labels.”
He said, “You have to be kidding.”
The bartender then said,  “I never saw your lips move." 

Michael Wright (c)  

No comments:

Post a Comment