Saturday, January 19, 2013

Climbing with Legends and Goats


After the wonderful surprise birthday party Juliana planned for me, it is time for some mountain climbing, not technical climbing, but not trail following either. We are going up to the top of the mountain, south of the castle. Juliana is interested in seeing the ruins of a Keep there. We are up at 5:30 a.m., running up and down the stairs ten times to prepare. We have breakfast with the staff and leave out the front gate. The Keep we are going to see is a twelfth-century Teutonic knights’ fortification.
The climb is not very difficult. We hike a trail for about six hours to get to the sight. We would have gotten there earlier if I had not had a misfortune. As we were walking along a narrow path, I did the unforgivable. I walked onto a slope of loose rocks. On the loose rock, I lost my footing and fell. I was able to stop my slide down by catching a rock outcrop with my rock hammer. I was not in terrible danger, the fall would be no more than 30 feet, but it would still hurt. Juliana tells me to release my backpack. This will make it easier for me to pull myself up to solid rock. My plan is to release my pack with one hand while I stabilize myself with the rock pick. With my pack loose, I will then throw it to Juliana. Have you ever tried to throw a 20-pound object very far when you are on your belly, about to slide down a 30 feet drop? This is nothing more than  a very bad plan. I throw the pack and it tumbles down the cliff and lands on a ledge. With Juliana’s help, I am able to pull myself up, but I have to go down to pick up my pack. My pack has all my food and water and my camera in it. There is no real problem getting to it, but I am amazed at what has happened. My bottle of mineral water is not even broke, but the neck of the bottle has punctured my camera. I lose a two-hundred dollar camera and save a one-dollar bottle of water. Nearly falling was not my only adventure of the climb. At one point in the climb, a very domineering goat and his haram blocked our path. He must have had 20 female goats. We were unable to go around them with a cliff on one side and an almost sheer drop off on the other. The goat is not happy with our intrusion on his mountain. He lowers his head and paws the ground. Juliana tells me to move over and she will talk to the goat.  She squats down so that her face is directly in line with the goat. For a minute, the goat is holding his own, but suddenly he jumps up and retreats down the slope with his herd following. I had already witnessed some amazing things that Juliana can do so I am not questioning what I saw. I said nothing and we continued our climb unobstructed. Juliana asked me if I am not curious about how she was able to convince the goat to move. I tell her that although I am truly curious, I am also afraid to ask.  She tells me that she told the goat that I was a terrible and powerful warlock and I would turn him into a human. She further informed him that as a human, he could have only one wife. He left.
When we reach the Keep, we are surprised to find Dr. Schelling already there in his Land rover. He had driven up the road that leads to the Keep. However, it was far more exciting to almost fall off the mountain, destroy a two-hundred dollar camera, and scare the hell out of a belligerent goat.
As we explore the Keep, Dr. Schelling shares some of its history. The Keep is built atop a cave, which was a retreat for a German monk. Rather than serving as a defense outpost, the Keep emerged to keep the secret of the cave. The monk’s name was Doric Manchedian. He was the Pope’s favorite at the time, nominated to be a cardinal. Manchedian informed the Pope that he needed to perform a pilgrimage before he could consider the office of Cardinal. He came to this cave, embedded into the rock about a hundred feet, and spent a year in mediation. If you enter the cave, you will find all sorts of religious and Nazi graffiti. Some of it is modern, but some dates back to the time of Doric, around 920 AD.
This is the legend:  Doric, while meditating in the cave, is visited by the angel Lodi. Lodi takes Doric to a remote part of the cave. There he shows Doric a number of golden tablets. Lodi instructs Doric to translate the tablets into Latin. Doric does not know the language of the tablets, but the angel gives him the power to interpret the language of the Lord. During the following months, Doric is amazed at how rapidly he is able to interpret the tablets. In his translations, he learns that the true chosen people are the Arians and that Jesus was an Arian, explaining why the Jews wanted him dead. The Jews and the Arians had waged wars for centuries, trying to control the earth. The Jews worked for the angel Lucifer and the Arians for the one true God. (I think you may see why people such as Hitler and Himmler valued this information). Doric loaded the gold tablets and his manuscript onto a cart and made his way to his monastery. He sent word of his find to the Vatican. The Pope immediately requested that Doric bring the tablets and his translation to the Vatican. In the Vatican, the scholars found most of what Doric had written contradictory to the Holy Bible. For instance, Doric’s translation suggested that God did not cause the Flood. The Flood was actually the work of Lucifer. He attempted to destroy the giant Arians dominating the earth soon after creation. Lucifer saved a family of Jews using the ark. The Flood failed to destroy all Arians and they plotted to resume their power. Jesus was the first of many leaders to revolt from the rule of the Jews. (I hope no one thinks that any of us believed this, this is just the myth of Doric the Monk). The Pope and the cardinals of the Vatican saw this as an affront to Christianity. The official at the Vatican locked the manuscript and tablets in a large granite box. The final vault took 200 years to complete. It consisted of a vertical shaft cut into solid rock that is 2000 feet deep. A granite box set at the bottom of the hole houses the tablets and manuscript. In time, buildings were constructed over the vault. Hitler tried to find the vault but failed. Supposedly, there is only one person that knows the location of the vault and threats of a horrible death encourage him to keep the secret.
Doric did not fare well after all of his work. In order to keep the information secret, the cardinals decided that Doric must die. As I previously stated, Doric was a favorite or the Pope. The Pope was the one who informed Doric of the decision to have him killed. Doric did not appear to be too upset and evidently understood the reasoning for his execution. The Pope, out of kindness to his friend, informed him that he could select the means of his execution. The Pope assumed he would select beheading, which at that time was one of the most humane methods of execution. The Pope was horrified at Doric’s execution wishes.  Doric requested crucifixion by hanging upside down for 12 hours and immediately having his belly sliced open so that his entrails flowed down across his face. After his death, his body was to be ground and fed to crows. This is a German Urban Legend; however, Hitler and Himmler believed the story.  Himmler made a pilgrimage to the cave and declared it a holy site for the SS.
The good Dr.Schelling brought us lunch, which was considerably better than the mineral water and dried fruit in our packs. We travel back down the mountain with Dr. Schelling and the ride down is actually scarier than the hike up the mountain. The road is very narrow and tedious, even in a four-wheel drive vehicle. It takes as long to drive back to the castle as it took us to climb the south side of the mountain. This is our last night at Neuschwanstein castle. It is good to learn that one with whom you have shared so much may have extraordinary powers over lower animals and perhaps over me as well.
©Michael L. Wright & Relinda Ruth


No comments:

Post a Comment