Friday, October 19, 2012

The Great Descent to Heaven





There are places in Germany where you can snow ski year round.   Please note that I am not a snow skier.  The ski lodge society and environment is intriguing to me.  I loved the atmosphere at night.  Juliana and I were regulars at the American ski lodge at Garmisch, Germany. 
I had a five-day weekend every two weeks because of how my work was scheduled. I know that does not sound like the Army, but there were legitimate reasons for the long weekends.  My schedule ran like this: We worked three days on day shift.  The day shift involved taking a briefing statement of highly classified information to the officer who would be giving the daily briefing.  The briefing statement contained information about the Combat readiness of Seventh Army, and the combat readiness of the Warsaw Pact countries.  This was vital information for the commies.  The Warsaw pact commanders were more concerned about our assessment of their readiness than about our actual readiness.  Their spies were as good as our spies.  The courier; therefore, has to be armed.  I carried, every time I acted as courier, a 45-automatic and a weapon of my choosing.  I chose to carry a 12-gauge shotgun.  I chose it because I had learned that it is highly effective during an ambush situation.  The command base was approximately 23 miles from the A-blast site where we received the information.  An A-blast site is an area where one can survey a direct thermonuclear blast, or so they say.  I provide that nice piece of information so that you can gain a sense of what was occurring in Germany at that time.  We had several scattered throughout Germany.  After delivering the briefing statement, I waited for approximately one hour to recover the slides and destroy them.  I then returned to the A-blast facility, where I turned in my weapons, submitted to a body search of my person and my jeep.  If I was not carrying a piece of confidential information and there was none in the jeep, I was free for the rest of the day.  This whole process began at 6 a.m. and by 10 a.m. I was home free.  By noon, Juliana would come by the A-blast to pick me up and usually, we went to Heidelberg. 

After three days off, I would switch to the night shift.  This, to me, was actually the fun shift.  During the early 1970s, state of the art technology was the teletype.  We had two banks of fifty teletypes, operating continuously, in the compartment containing the communication center.  You could easily put an entire football field in the communication center compartment.  Upon first entering, you do not realize that you are underground.  The place is so large you feel as if you are outside.  It looks like a small city with banks of compartments lining the streets.  It is easy to get lost in the site.   Down in the center of the earth, the American Army is checking on what is happening in the world.  During the nights, we are receiving information from all American bases and various ingenious spying operations.  Our sources of information concerning the Warsaw Armies were from taped underwater cables, satellite photographs, U2, and Black Birds.  For me, the most fascinating photos came from satellites.  At that time, the digital quality of the photograph was not very good.  Instead of digital imaging, we received analog high definition images.  That means the satellite took photos with a film camera.  When the satellite flew over Eastern Europe, Russia, and China, the camera would start taking pictures.  When the satellite was above the Pacific Ocean, it would eject a gold canister containing the film.  The canister would enter the atmosphere and a parachute would deploy.  An American plane would retrieve the canister while in the air.  After arriving in Denver, Colorado for processing, the pentagon and our military bases around the world would receive copies of the images. My job was to compile the statistics on the information received and post the slides.  All I had to do was record the number in the correct places since the slides were already made. At midnight, we stopped receiving formation for the briefing. The night shift usually involved the statistician being in the communication center from 12 p.m. to 2 a.m.  Normally, I could go through the debriefing, catch some sleep and get picked up to go to Heidelberg.  There was a lot of stress involved because the commie wanted the report and would do anything to get it.  After I had completed three night shifts, I earned a five-day pass.  All of the previously mentioned has nothing to do with the story I wish to tell.  It is just preparing you for a new adventure.  If I did not share all this information, you would wonder how I had so much time off while I was in the service.
 
During one particular weekend when I had five days off, Juliana informed me that she wanted to go to a ski resort on the German-Swiss border.  The actual location was in the Principality of Lichtenstein.  We love the ski resort atmosphere.  Juliana drives to Tompkins Barracks in Schwetzingen where I am staying at the time. You can search for Schwetzingen on Google maps, and you will find Tompkins Barracks.  Across the street from the barracks, you will see a strangely shaped building.  This ‘J’ shaped building is the entrance to the A-Blast facility.  Juliana told me that she had something to show me.  She had a new car!  It was a dark green K-Type V12 jaguar.  I wanted to drive this car, but since it was new, I figured she wanted to drive it.  She said I could drive the car if I would not let anyone pass us on the Autobahn.  When someone passed us, she would then drive.  If someone passed us while she was driving, I get to drive again.  Sounds like a fun game.  If you do not know what a K-Type V12 is, it is an XKE with a V-12 engine.  The car itself is so light, with that big engine there is no way to take off without spinning the tires.  We get on the Autobahn at Schwetzingen.  Things are going fine for me at 110 miles per hour and no one is passing me.  However, Juliana notices a Porsche is approaching us as though we are standing still.  She said, “If you do not do something quick, I get to drive, and I bet I catch up with him before we get to Munich.”  I down shift to fourth gear and accelerate.  The acceleration is so fast it almost hurts; I am surprised I do not get a bloody nose.  At 160 miles per hour, I start pulling away from our friend in the Porsche.  That is the fastest I have ever driven a car.  During the early 1970s, that was extremely fast.  Of course, at 160 miles per hour, I pass the exchange I need to go to Munich.  We arrive in Munich as the sun is setting and we spend the night.  We drop south the next day to travel to the Swiss border.  The real fun begins as we move into Switzerland. We are now in the Alps.
 
The next morning, I am not the designated driver.  Juliana will drive through the mountains.  Fine with me, she knows the way.  I have never been there before.  To get to the resort one must enter from Switzerland.  There is only one road to the resort, or so we thought.  The month is May, still cool but pleasant.  As we begin to ascend the mountains, the weather changes.  The first 4,000 feet is cloudy with some rain.  As we climb to a 5-7,000-feet level, we are in a snowstorm.  At 8,000 feet, we are above the clouds and the weather is clear and extremely cold.  These distances are feet in elevation, not linear feet.  I forgot to mention one very important thing.  There are several tunnels on this road, some of them rather long.  The tunnels were somewhat of a relief because the road has two lanes and one side is a steep snow-covered slope while the other is a vertical drop-off.  I should mention that driving this road in this car with Juliana driving is more exciting than the worse possible roller coaster.  We were in the snow for about an hour.  When we get above the clouds, the view was breathtaking.  These roads in the Alps are not for the faint of heart.

The hotel is a fourteenth-century summer castle.  This is where the royal families of Germany and elsewhere spent the summer months.  The view is out of this world; it is almost like looking out of an airplane window.   Some ten-thousand feet below us is the little Principality of Lichtenstein.   The room is something else also.  I have never seen a room that had ceiling-to- ceiling carpeting.  Carpeting covered the floors and tapestries covered the walls. Juliana explains the wall tapestry to me by demonstrating.  She tells me to touch the carpet on the wall and put my hand on the other side of the tapestry.  The rock wall is ice cold but the tapestry is rather warm.  Even though the castle is 14 centuries old, it has all modern conveniences, such as hot and cold running water and central heat.  I do not know what it was with royal families, maybe all the family slept in one bed because every castle we stayed in had a bed as big as a house.  The thing I liked about the bed was the two-foot thick down comforter.  It just occurred to me; how did they wash the comforter?  I have never seen a commercial washer that could hold it.   Even though it is down-filled, it must weigh close to a hundred pounds. 

The morning of our second day is bright and cheery.  It is snowing so hard that there is a complete whiteout.  The snow covers everything.  No one is skiing as everyone is lounging around in the lounge.  Is that redundant or what?  It is fun to watch the people.  At the ski resort, the society is rather democratic.  Well, perhaps not.  A person’s skiing skills dictates the social order. The super-advance skiers or Olympic hopefuls are together.  In this group are super wealthy and some that own nothing more than their skis, their boots, and their ski suit.  At the resort, they are the best of friends.  Juliana and I are with the non-skiers.  We are here for the social events.  There has to be a reason to drive all this way other than watching the snowfall.   The snow is falling at the rate of a foot per hour.  Disaster is looming.
 
The third night, it is cold beyond belief.  The only warm place is under the comforter.  At two in the morning, the loudest and most annoying alarm sounds.  I hate getting out from underneath the warmth of the comforter, but the noise is truly deafening.  When the alarm stops, the most obnoxious high-pitched voice blares over the intercom.  The voice requests that all guests collect in the main lobby, in about twenty different languages.  We pull on our snowsuits and go to the main lobby.  We are told, to our relief, that the hotel is safe. Of course, there is the ominous “but.”  There has been an avalanche that has completed blocked the road.  Avalanche detritus now fills the tunnels I previously mentioned. A snow avalanche is not just snow; it is a turbid current picking up soil, rocks, trees, and buildings.  It may take several days or even a week to open the road.  Ouch, I only have two more days.  I will be considered AWOL if I do not get back.   I am in a world of hurt.  The manager informs us that as soon as the snow stops they may be able to get helicopters in to take us off the mountain.  (Of course there is once again the “but”) they do not expect the snow to stop for several days.  Then came the biggest “BUT” ever, there is an old road leading off the mountain.  The resort will send a snowplow down the road and anyone who wishes to follow the plow can do so at his or her own risk.  Several people decide to take the risk.  We are in that group. We load up the car and get ready.  We are given some very strict rules to follow as we descend the mountain.  The rule that tormented me the most is to watch the snowplow’s lights, do not watch the car ahead of you.  Under no conditions should you take your eyes off the snowplow.  If the car in front of you or behind you goes off the road, do not try to stop and render aid.  There are places where the drop off is over 1,000 feet straight down.  It you are distracted from the snowplow you could end up going off the edge.  Keep your foot off the brake and do not lock your wheels.  This is just wonderful.  We have to sign a waiver so that the hotel is not responsible.  The snowplow goes five miles per hour on a good day.  This would not be a problem except Juliana’s new car is designed to travel at Autobahn speeds.  We are somewhat lucky that we are the first car behind the snowplow.   It takes three hours to descend the mountain.  Everyone makes it in one piece.  No one falls off the edge.  It is a miracle, because in many places one could see the road was carved from solid rock on a sheer cliff.  We celebrate when we arrive at the bottom.  Everyone except Juliana, she seems depressed.  I try to get her to talk and she refuses to talk about it.  Finally, after we find a hotel for the day and night in Lichtenstein, she tells me the problem.  She asks, “You hate me now, do you not?”  My response is, “What! Why would I hate you?”  “Because of all the trouble I caused you. We could have been killed or you could have gotten into trouble with the military and they put you in jail.”  I had to laugh, “This was one of the most exciting things I have ever done, and I would not have missed it for the world.”  This smoothed everything over.  We slept until one that afternoon.  We took a tour of Lichtenstein and had a history lesson.  This country is still somewhat living in the fourteenth century.  That is its charm and income.  Tourism is the main industry.  The country is beautiful. It lies within a valley between two mountain ranges that are about 10,000 feet above the valley floor.  That night all of the survivors of what we now refer to as the “Great Descent into Hell” meet for supper and drinks.  That night I discovered the power of the German liquor Jagermeister.  I really do not know how to say what happened that night. 
There are, of course, morals to this story. 

1.   The climb down sometimes spoils the view from the top.
2.   If the road up is bad, the road down is not going to be any better.
3.   When someone tells you the good news and ends the sentence with the word 'but,' you know there is no good news.
4.   Four Jagermeisters tops two Viagra any day or night.
5.   It is possible, believe me, it is possible and no one is chafed. You will not get this but It has to do with two hours and number 4.
6.   There are times when it is better not to watch the clock.
7.   If you have to list the reasons that you are friends with someone, maybe you should reconsider.
©2012 Michael L. Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment