Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Halloween Happening




The Halloween Happening

Highway 62 between Rogers and Eureka Springs is one of my favorite drives in Arkansas.  Eureka Springs is also one of my favorite towns in Arkansas. Halloween is my favorite time to be in Eureka Springs.  Some Halloweens seem to stand out more than others do, like the one I am about to share with you.  In Northwest Arkansas, one of the best places to go on Halloween is Eureka Springs. The reason Eureka springs is a great place to go is because of the extreme diversity of the people in the city.  There are some of the most ‘redneck’ bars in the country and not too far away are some of the hippest bars you will find.  I was always comfortable in both.  I like country and western and esoteric folk music.  On the extreme; however, are the ‘alternative’ people. You probably think I am making this up, but go to the right places in Eureka Springs and you can meet a person that will swear he or she is a witch, vampire, werewolf, changeling, zombie or some other weird person. It does not even have to be Halloween to encounter these individuals. I just happen to know where the ‘alternates’ gathered during 1973. 

Today, everything is different.  I have long since lost contact with my connections, but it was wonderful at the time.  However, I bet that if you walk down the main street of Eureka Springs today, you will see a stairwell leading to a dark place.  There, you will find a group of people who consider themselves to be the ‘alternates.’  At first glance, they may seem to be a little strange.

During Halloween 1973, I am living in the house in Pea Ridge.  I am the proud owner of a 1972 MGB.  My lady friend at the time is Terry.  We dress to celebrate the offbeat holiday. She dresses as a charming Elvira, and I dressed as a celibate monk.  We thought the idea was funny.  The drive from Pea Ridge to Eureka Springs is exciting; try it sometime. If it does not get you in the mood to have a little fun, then you need to relax a little. As I drove around a corner at about 50 mph, a brilliant thought came to mind. Terry was the type of person who would do anything for a laugh. Our costumes were not funny any longer; they were dead serious.  We became the personification of our alter egos.  We took the Dam Road and stopped at the dam overlook for an hour to admire the view.

When you drove into the downtown part of Eureka Springs in 1973, there was a country and western bar just before you arrived at the main part of town.  This was our first stop to work up our courage.  We shot a little pool, but we were distracting too many people from serious drinking.  We did not feel very welcome.  However, this was not our destination or our destiny at this time.  After a couple of courage makers, we move toward our destination.  There was a particular bar located at the corner on the upper street.  One had to descend a flight of stairs to enter the bar. Few people knew of the place.  We went in and felt more at ease.  Many people were in costume, although a few had decided not to dress for the holiday.  As we walked into the bar, we seemed to have become the center of attention.  Well, not me, but Elvira certainly did.  To elaborate, Terry makes a striking Elvira with long glossy black hair. Her gown has a slit up to her waist, and the neckline plunges to her navel. I think I just used nearly those same words to describe a dress at the opera. I have nothing to do with the way my friends dress.  Wearing a hoodie that hangs nearly to the floor did not earn me many second looks. Terry is the show. We sat at the bar and began a conversation with the waitress.  We both agreed that the waitress must be an ‘alternative. Once I exit to the men’s room, Elvira tells the waitress that the monk has detected several witches and other ‘alternatives’ in the place.

The girl smiles and replies, “Are you a real believer?”

Terry, (now in full Elvira persona) says in a very low voice, “Yes, I have to be because I am a witch, and I know you are too.”

The girl is so impressed that she begins to share her life story with Terry. I then interrupt the conversation by returning to the bar. As I dried my hands with napkins, I asked in my deep monk-like voice, “What have you girls been talking about?” Elvira tells me that they were discussing herbs.
“Monika is an herbalist,” said Elvira.
I said, “Well, you girls talk about herbs, I see someone I know. Do not disappear on me.”
 
Elvira now tells the girl that the monk is holding her captive. 
The girl asks, "Well why do you not just leave and go to the police?"  Elvira tells her that it is impossible because the bracelet she is wearing will not let her get more than 50 feet from the monk.  The poor girl believes every word of this.  Elvira tells Monika that if she can remove the bracelet, she can escape.  Monika removes the bracelet and Elvira tells her that only a white witch could have done that.  Well, this makes Monika’s day. Prior to Elvira’s revelation, Monika believed that she was merely a witch. With the help of some of Monika’s friends, Elvira escapes out the back door.   

While Elvira was making her escape, I am talking to a group that included an old high school friend.  His name is Darian.  Darian is a Vietnam Vet.  In high school, he was a quiet and rather passive kid.  After Vietnam and a brush with the law, he is a changed man.  I would say he probably carried about 50 pounds of concealed weapons at all times.  Talking to him makes a person feel a little freakish.  He became addicted to some bad drugs in the Big Green, never kicked them, and never had a desire to kick them.  He got in trouble over a girl and went to prison for five years.  I have no idea what he is doing today.  After getting my weekly shot of paranoia conspiracy theory, I return to the bar.   

As planned, there was no sign of Elvira.  I asked Monika where she went.  Monika said she took the bracelet, off so I could not control her anymore, and she left. 
"Do you have any idea what you did? She is a black witch. She will do something terrible. I have no way to find her without the bracelet,” I yelled. Then I ask, “Did you remove the necklace?”
“No,” Monika replies.
“I hate to do this, but this is all I can do to save an innocent," I told Monika.  I pull out a small radio that I bought just for this occasion.  I push a button on the radio. 
“What did that do?” Monika inquires.
“My witch’s head just popped off,” I answered.
Monika screams but quickly recovers and says, “This is a happening.”
I tell her that it is indeed, and we all began to laugh. Someone invites us to a Halloween party and we end up spending the whole weekend in Eureka Springs.
I know this whole thing sounds silly… it is, and it was.  However, you must understand the culture of Eureka Springs at that time.  The happening was the latest thing in the art community.  A happening got others involved with your art without them knowing that they were part of the art.  My art was fun without hurting anyone. 

Terry finished college, moved to New York, and worked for Delta Airlines.  Monika, who owned the bar, moved to San Francisco.  As I previously stated, my paranoid friend just disappeared.  Considering the price of land on Beaver Lake today, I would bet either he still lives in his tent created from a parachute, or he sold the land and is now an investment banker. Me, I go to class on Monday after Halloween weekend and tell high school kids it is time to grow up and be mature. Yes, a little hypocritical, but damn, it is good to be young and having fun. There is no feeling quite like knowing the confidence of youth while enjoying life. I know many people consider Eureka Springs to be the religious Mecca of Arkansas.  That is a whole other story.

Of course, there are morals to this story:
1.     Hypocrisy, like beauty, is only in the eye of the beholder.
2.     If you believe you are something, you are something.
3.     What you are is what you believe you are.
4.     No one can believe you are something unless you are something.
5.     If you are unsure what a word means, look it up prior to using it.

©2012 Michael L. Wright and Relinda Ruth

1 comment: