Tuesday, July 17, 2012
The Hoer in the flower Garden
This all happened one summer at Fayetteville Arkansas, and it is all
true. I was attending summer school and
living in an apartment house just down from the Deluxe. One of the
courses I was taking was Modern
Philosophy. In this course, we studied Existentialism and Objectivism among other areas of philosophy. While
in my first day of this class, I
noticed my neighbor. She was a
strikingly beautiful 32 years old. After class,
she introduced herself to me and told me that she lived next door. Now I
knew this but I did not want her to
think that I might be watching her with my binoculars. Well anyway we
talked and had lunch. I hope you do not think this is going to way
I think you might be thinking. We just became friends. I mean that in
the most platonic way. In the apartment I lived, there was a
freshman-engineering student. This boy
came from Fort Smith. This to me made
him a big city boy. Back to the lady
for a moment. She maintained a beautiful
garden in front of her apartment. In
addition, she very often had a Mercedes 300 SL Gull-wing parked in front
of her
apartment. On other days, there was a
copper tone Avanti parked there. I hope
you understand these are not normal University of Arkansas student
cars. I mentioned the Gull-wing one time just off
the collar. She told me that it belong
to a well know Arkansas industrialist. Now I will not use his name here
but if you lived in Northwest Arkansas, you know exactly whom I speak. The Avanti belonged to a well
know banker’s son. She was forthright
about their relationship. The two of
them paid for her college and a few extra to the tune of $500.00 dollars
a
week. Now remember this is 1972. Now I have the set up for the story.
I was walking home with the engineering
student. We walked by my platonic lady
friend’s house and she was weeding her garden.
As we walked by, she said hello. Therefore,
we stopped and chatted with her. Now get
a vision here. We are talking cutoff
shorts I mean shorts that looked as if they had been cut off with a slit up the side. An
unbuttoned shirt tied at the bottom, and for sure no bra. The engineer student is taking in
all this
and is not sure how to speak. Finally,
he says “My parent use to make me hoe weeds in the garden.” I never
liked
hoeing.” The lady turned to him and put her hand on his shoulder and said, (I swear this is true), “That’s
good, I don’t think the block could afford more than one good hoer.”
She said that with a straight face, and I
fell out laughing. The engineering
student did not get it. I kept saying
hoer, hoer, hoer. He never got it. He woke me a 2:00 in the morning
asking what
the joke was.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Excellent story!
ReplyDelete